Galaxy Mega 6.3 Android smartphone can now be updated with the Cyanogen Mod 11 firmware which ropes in the latest Kitkat 4.4.2 Android OS. The best part is that it comes with the added features which otherwise is only available with the Kitkat 4.4.2 Android OS which is available with the Nexus range of smartphones. Please note that this is not the official firmware reelased by Samsung and is the Cyanogen Mod 11 firmware which ropes in the goodness of Kitkat 4.4.2 Android firmware. While there are no updates on by when there will be official Kitkat 4.4.2 Android firmware for this smartphone, let’s check out on how you can apply this update manually.
Note: Please note that since this is the custom ROM firmware, you need to root the same.
Procedure to Update Galaxy Mega 6.3 Android smartphone with Cyanogen Mod 11 Firmware:
- Download the Kitkat 4.4.2 Android Firmware and Google Apps Package from here to your computer. Once downloaded, connect your device to the computer with the help of original USB cable and place the same in your device.
- Disconnect the device from computer and turn Off the same so that the device can be entered in the recovery mode.
- Recovery mode in Galaxy Mega 6.3 can be entered by holding the Volume Up button + the Home key button (the middle button). While holding these both buttons, you need to switch ON your device.
- In recovery mode, select options to clear and wipe the data present in your phone by selecting the options like “Clear Data” and “Wipe Cache”.
- Once done, you now need to select the option of “install zip from sd card” and then select the firmware zip file which you have placed in the device and then followed by the Google Apps Package. It will take around 4 -5 minutes to apply both the zip files in your device.
Note: If at all your Galaxy Mega 6.3 gets in the boot loop sequence then you need to turn off the device and then reapply the update from the start. To turn off you can reinsert the battery or say you can long press the power button.
So there you go, you have successfully updated your device with the latest version of Kitkat 4.4.2 Android OS. Do let us know in the comments section just in case if you face any issues in the process of firmware update.